When should you check your transmission fluid?
As your transmission is an important part of your car, it’s worth checking your transmission fluid regularly. This can be as often as once a month, and it only takes a few minutes to check.
How to check and refill your transmission fluid: step-by-step
How you perform a transmission fluid check will differ slightly depending on whether it’s an automatic or manual. To check transmission fluid on a manual vehicle, you’ll need to jack up your car, so it’s recommended to have a mechanic do this for you. To check transmission fluid on an automatic vehicle:
- Park your car on level ground in a well ventilated location and run the engine for around 5-10 minutes before you start, as your engine needs to be warm. Keep your engine running throughout this process.
- Lift your bonnet and secure it safely.
- Find your transmission fluid dipstick. This should be a bit further down than your engine oil dipstick. If you’re not sure, check your vehicle’s manual to make sure you have the right one.
- Pull the dipstick out and wipe it clean with some paper towels or an old cloth.
- Put the dipstick back in and then immediately take it back out. There will be a ‘full’ line on the dipstick, and you’ll want the fluid to reach this level. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to top-up.
- You’ll also need to check whether the fluid looks clear and if you touch it, the fluid should feel smooth. If the fluid has particles in it or if it smells (or looks) burnt, you’ll need to have a professional mechanic look at it.
- If you just need to top-up your transmission fluid, use a funnel and slowly pour in the right fluid bit by bit, being careful not to overfill it.
- Once you’ve finished, replace the dipstick, close your car’s bonnet and wash your hands.
Which transmission fluid is right for my car?
The right transmission fluid can help to extend your transmission’s life and keep you on the road for longer. Mobil has a range of manual and automatic transmission fluids designed to provide advanced protection. Find the right Mobil coolant for your vehicle.
Mobil Super™ offers a range of synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional oils providing different levels of protection to match the conditions you face, whilst always ensuring you can drive with full confidence.More about Mobil Super