What does it mean when your engine oil light comes on?
There are plenty of reasons why your engine oil light might appear.
It could be because you need to:
- top up your engine oil
- an oil pump failure
- an issue with your oil pressure sensor
- or there could be a block in the oil system somewhere
Whatever the reason, you need to take it seriously and investigate as soon as you can.
What should you do when you see your engine oil light?It’s not a good idea to drive with the engine oil light on, as this risks causing real damage to the engine.
- If the engine oil light comes on while you’re driving, you should pull off the road as soon as it’s safe to do so.
- Once you’ve safely stopped somewhere, turn off your engine straight away and allow the engine to cool down.
- Check your engine oil levels. Follow our step-by-step guide on how to safely check your engine oil here.
- If you’re low on engine oil, top-up using the right Mobil engine oil for your vehicle. You can then switch your engine back on to see if this has solved the issue and the engine oil light disappears.
- Get in touch with a mechanic who will be able to help investigate further why your engine oil light is on and help fix the issue.
How to check my engine oil
Checking your engine oil is quick and simple and will save you time and money in the long-run. Follow our step-by-step guide to help you carry out an engine oil check.Find out how
How much engine oil do I need?
Your engine oil plays a key role in looking after your engine and helping it run at its best. You need to make sure you use the right amount of engine oil for your vehicle and keep it topped up.Find out how
How to change your engine oil
Regular oil changes will ensure your engine keeps performing at its best, helping your car to achieve maximum power and enhanced fuel efficiency. Use our step-by-step guide to change your engine oil at home.Find out how
Mobil Super™ offers a range of synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional oils providing different levels of protection to match the conditions you face, whilst always ensuring you can drive with full confidence.More about Mobil Super